EDUCATION & TRAINING
2015- present University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Postdoctoral Fellow
2015- 2010 Cornell University PhD Biomedical Engineering
2005-2009 University of Pennsylvania BA Physics
PATENTS & INVENTIONS
King MR, Mitchell MJ, Rana K, Wayne EC, Schaffer CB, Chandrasekaran S. Method to functionalize cells in human blood, other fluids and tissues using nanoparticles. Published Jun 30, 2016. Publication No. 2016-0184395.
INVITED TALKS (selected)
- “Macrophage-Mediated Gene Delivery to the Tumor Microenvironment.” GRS Cancer Nanotechnology. 2017. Mount Snow, West Dover, VT.
- “The Best Delivery Vehicle has already been made: your immune cells.” TED Conference, Vancouver, Canada. 2017.
- “Cell Based Therapies for Gene and Drug Delivery.” Earlham College, Richmond, IN. 2017.
- “Bridging the STEM/Humanities Divide.” PhDivas Podcast Feature Lecture. Earlham College, Richmond, IN. 2017.
- “Functionalizing the Immune System for use in Drug Therapy and Gene Delivery.” California State University at Northridge, Northridge, CA. 2016.
- Wayne EC. “Macrophage-mediated gene delivery in colorectal carcinoma.” NCI Alliance Investigator’s Meeting. November 1-5, 2016. National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD.
PhDivas Podcast 2015-Present
A weekly podcast to highlight and elevate the voices of women in higher education. The co-host, Dr. Christine Yao, and I interview women who are pursuing or have already attained doctorate degrees. Our podcast spans the humanities and the physical sciences, has over 2500 followers on social media and over 500 listeners per episode. https://phdivaspodcast.wordpress.com
ACADEMIC HONORS (selected)
- 2017 TED Fellow
- 2017 GRC Carl Storm Underrepresented Minority Fellowship
- 2015 WPI STEM Faculty Launch
- 2015 Cornell Provost Diversity Fellowship
- 2014 Scientific Mentoring & Diversity Scholar
- 2013 Cornell Alice & Constance Cook Award
- 2012 Cornell CMM Young Investigator Award (Amount: $25,000)
- 2011 Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Med-into-Grad Fellows
1. Crawford LA, Watkins HC, Wayne EC, Putnam D. Exploitation of P-glycoprotein Agonists to Retain Nanoparticles in the Brain Capillaries. Submitted, Journal of Controlled Release.
2. Wayne, EC, Chandrasekaran, S, Mitchell, MJ, Chan MF, Lee, RE, Schaffer, CB, & King, MR (2016). TRAIL-coated leukocytes that prevent the bloodborne metastasis of prostate cancer. Journal of Controlled Release. Journal of Controlled Release : Official Journal of the Controlled Release Society, 223, 215–223.
3. Mitchell MJ, Wayne EC, Rana K, Schaffer CB, King MR. (2014) TRAIL-Coated Leukocytes that Kill Cancer Cells in the Circulation. PNAS 111(3) 930–935
4. Rosenthal JA, Huang C-J, Doody AM, Leung T, Mineta K, Feng D, Wayne EC, Nozomi Nishimura, Cynthia Leifer, Matthew P. DeLisa, Susana Mendez, David Putnam. (2014) Mechanistic Insight into the TH1-Biased Immune Response to Recombinant Subunit Vaccines Delivered by Probiotic Bacteria-Derived Outer Membrane Vesicles. PLoS ONE 9(11): e112802.